Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Review: Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies

TITLE: Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies
AUTHOR: Erin Dionne
READING LEVEL: 9 and up
PAGES: 256
SYNOPSIS: Celeste Harris used to be perfectly comfortable with her weight. She also used to think nothing would make seventh grade worse than super-popular, super-mean Lively Carson's persistent insults and attempts to steal her best friend. But then her aunt secretly signed her up for a pageant for plus-sized girls against her will, and suddenly it was clear: Things could be much worse. So Celeste crafts a plan - she'll sacrifice her chocolate cookie obsession, lose weight, and shrink right out of the competition.

Ah, I LOVE this book, and I love Celeste (you can actually see the Manga sketch of her I did on sketchwriteress.blogspot.com)! I guarentee you will too by the time you finish it. There are SO many hilarious escapades, I was laughing my head off by the end. This is actually Erin Dionne's first book, and I thought it was spectacular-- mostly because I relate. Dionne shows how to be a HuskyPeach in this SkinnyBanana world! Dionne has written two other books: The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet (just as funny as Models, if not funnier) and Notes from an Accidental Band Geek. I was sorely disappointed when I read this last one, expecting the best, like before.... but Dionne didn't deliver (haha! alliteration!). Elsie was a brat, disrespectful to her parents, and it really wasn't a strong plot (like Models... it was such a novel idea. I loved that one best, I must admit. My apologies if this post is a little biased). So I suggest: read Models, then Hamlet, then stop there.

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!