Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"What day is it?!" Christmas

Are you wondering what day it is? Well, if you said Wednesday, you're half right! It's.... (drumroll, please) WRITING-PROMPT WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!

Okay, today's soundtrack is Christmas music. The real jazzy kind. Pick up some Vince Guaraldi or Erin O'Donnell. Now reach back WAYYYYYYYY into your memory files in your mind and glean out your earliest Christmas memory. Mine is strange, but I'll share it with you.

I was 6? 7? 8? Don't know. But that was one of the only Christmases my grandparents from Florida had come to visit us, and I got sick. I don't remember any of my gifts or the giving process, Christmas dinner or anything, but I do remember playing Monopoly with my grandma by our back door.. There was snow outside, but I couldn't play because I was sick. But I did have fun playing Monopoly on our old ripped-up card table. I had a drink of that nasty stuff, Airborne, in a bright pink plastic cup, sitting on the floor next to my chair. That's all I remember.
Could you make a story out of that? I think I could. Add a little anticipation, a shattering realization, then a grudging acception. Add a little Christmas music and some snow, and you have a cute little Holiday short story with the whole plot roller coaster: set up the scene; the inciting incident; the rising action; the climax; the falling action, and the resolution, just in as many words.

Can you do that with your story? In fact, what was the worst thing that happened to you that Christmas? Make it worse. Best thing? Make it INFINITELY better!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!