Saturday, February 4, 2012

Staring does not = stalking!!!

If you're into Christmas carols, you'll recognize these few lyrics. He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake...


Creepy!!

But please, tell me you haven't done this before. You look up and see a peculiar sight-- a grown man trying to inconspicuously sniff his armpit, a woman sneaking her dog into Wal-Mart, another teenager with earbuds in their ears but then you realize that the earbuds aren't plugged into anything. And you're drawn to this person, trying to figure who they really are.

My drama teacher said something really profound the other day: Staring is not stalking.

So get out there and stare! Just not too conspicuously. Observe, maybe. See how that 20-something year old woman at O' Charley's folds her napkin just right, or wipes her mouth after every bite. Or the frail, elderly man leaving the pet store with a giant dog. A Great Dane, maybe.

Observe, then write! Create a description of the person, a little bio, name and all. If you don't know, then guess. Fabricate a whole life and career for this person if you wish. Say you see a man rushing to work. His tie is sticking out, his shirt isn't tucked in, and frankly, his hair looks like a rabbit had just nested in it. You can guess that either this man lives a very messy life and isn't married, or he just got back from saving the world and is late for work.

Your call.

See, that's the coolest thing about stalking! Er, I mean, staring. A brief explanation on that: stalking is going so far as knowing this person age, name, address, phone number, car model, love life, and shoe size. (You are not stalking your close friends if you know this about them. You are, however, if this person is someone you have never seen in your life. Although I think that should go without saying.) Staring is looking curiously at people-- however, NEVER let them know you're looking!

So write up 1, 4, or 20 pages of a fake life for someone you caught a glimpse of at Kroger. Word to the wise:
Sunglasses like these make it fun!









So go and get gawking!!

(Note: Try not to stare at people who are disabled in any way, not matter how fascinating their tic. They would obviously feel uncomfortable, even if your staring is for good, not evil.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Writeress! This is starcross3 from NaNo! :)

    Just wanted to say that I LOVE your blog, and I especially love this post! I find myself doing this ALL. The. TIME! I make up stories from everything. The story I wrote for NaNo this year was invented simply because I found this bizarre looking bracelet under a log at summer camp. I didn't know how the bracelet got there, so I wrote a book on it! I'm sure you know how that is... ;)

    Anyway, love your blog, love your sketches, and happy writing!

    -Kaycee (starcross)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you!
    Haha I know EXACTLY what you mean. Very cool about the bracelet, by the way. What does it look like?
    Hopefully your drawings will be done soon, but man, is school crazy! I'm a bit swamped right now, so sorry for the delay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, its no problem! My school is totally crazy too!

    Turns out, the bracelet had been made at the craft cabin at camp and another girl in my cabin had dropped it, but it was really cool looking! It had different colored stone and wood beads on it, some had drawings on them and others did not. In my story, my heroine (Ember) hides a bracelet under a log to keep it safe from my villain. The different stones of the bracelet in the story come from different countries, and if you are smart, like my villain is, you could unleash this ancient monster using the bracelet.

    Sometimes, my imagination goes crazy, but hey, I guess that's good when it comes to writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha That's really cool! And that's also one of the greatest things about writing-- you can totally do WHATEVER you want to your main character, making everything incredibly difficult!!
    The bracelet sounds cool. I've done that before, either using an item that I've found or an old story (e.g. one of the houses in my town is "haunted") or a quirky character that I can't wait to write into one of my novels.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!