Sunday, February 26, 2012

Vacationed...

Vaycay shunned. Vay cayshuned. Vayke aschun'd.

We're going on a  vay-cayshun, and snorkling for the first time! Has anyone ever been snorkling before? Frankly, I'm just freaked about the sharks.
Sharks?
Well, when you put it that way...
I'm missing 2 weeks of school.
And 2 weeks of internet.

So that's really what this blog post is about: Don't have Great Expectations (Charles Dickens) for very much these next few weeks! And don't be expecting your charrie sketch on my other blog, sketchwriteress.blogspot.com, for a little while. Sorry!
So on to the next thing!
I'm going to run of a quick writing prompt here...
Thanks to the wonderful insight of a comment-er on the Staring does not = stalking! post (http://thewriteress.blogspot.com/2012/02/staring-does-not-stalking.html), I've been inspired to help you all on your path to authoral greatness.
You can thank me later.

So here's something really really quick cause I have no time at all...
Find a few of your favorite books, and flip open to the middle of one of them. No peeking! Stab your finger in the pages somewhere, then open the book up and take the first sentence your finger lands on. Beginning with that sentence, write a paragraph or two or twenty of your own work.

Example: Let me take my copy of Palace of Mirrors by Margaret Peterson Haddix...

"I take a tentative breath and draw in the sweet odor of roses, lilies, lavender." (This is from the beginning of chapter 21.)

Could you write something out of that? I could. A whole story, actually. Keep in mind that this is definitely NOT plagiarism, no! It's taking creative licenses and doing your own totally different thing. I highly doubt what you write from this will exactly follow the lines of Ms. Haddix' novel.

Take a sentence you like from your own book, or here's another one to keep you busy:

"When you find something that's whole, you do what you can to keep it that way."
Gary D. Schmidt, Okay for Now.


To borrow the words of Gail Carson Levine (gailcarsonlevine.blogspot.com), have fun, and save what you wrote!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!